How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12192
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has 2 DWI the last one was 21 years ago,and we

This answer was rated:

My husband has 2 DWI the last one was 21 years ago,and we owe bake taxes that will be paid off with are tax return this year,will that have any effect to getting his citizens ship.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.

If you receive a phone call offer, that is automatically sent to you. I do not send it. You can accept it if you want to.

Also, asking me if I am still here or checking in only delays my responses. Please be patient and do not close your question if it is taking a while. Sometimes answers take a long time to prepare or we are very busy. Even if it takes me a little while, PLEASE DO NOT OPT OUT; I promise that I will be with you. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. You must do this in order for me to get credit. You can always continue to ask related questions even after you've given a rating. If you need more questions about the ratings, please feel free to ask.

ANSWER: As far as the DWIs from that long ago, this should not be a problem. They can look all the way back to then, but it is unlikely that they will look so far back.

As far as the tax returns, if USCIS discovers that an applicant owes back taxes, his application for citizenship will likely be denied. But tax issues are not an automatic bar to naturalization. If he can show that he's making an effort to resolve his tax issues or can show that he has paid the back taxes, he likely still eligible for naturalization.

Ultimately, the USCIS has discretion when making this decision, but I do not think these will be an issue at this point.

I hope that answers your question. To finish, I will need you to click the 5 stars (*****) at the top of your screen and hit the submit button. A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal immigration Expert.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** answer was a big help,we will wait to payoff are taxes with our return and move forward from there,I'm glad that I can count with you to answer all our questions.this was easier then I thought it would be.

No problem at all. However in order for me to get credit for doing my job, you have to give 4 or 5 stars, at the top of this screen. Do you need me to explain how that works?

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you