Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

Immigration I want to marry my girlfriend she lives in

Customer Question

Immigration I want to marry my girlfriend she lives in Vietnam I need help in getting a exception from the minimum travel requirements . I have kidney disease. I planning to visit her in July. this year, but can only make this one trip because its not really safe for me to travel outside of the usa
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its a financial hardship to try to get proper medical treatment there. I already joined this site last week
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question about this issue? Have you applied for her to have a fiance visa yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet I was told that I have to make two trips there first

Thank you for your reply.

The thing with the visits is that they want to make sure you are not marrying her only to get her a visa. So you have to show some substantial real relationship. If she comes here on visits instead of you going there on visits, that would still satisfy the requirement that you have to show a serious relationship such that it is not simply a marriage for the visa only. So, bring her over to the US on a visitor/tourist visa one or two times in addition to your trip there and that would establish the legitimate relationship.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.