Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

FOR GUILLERMO: My partner is applying for renewed medi-cal

Customer Question

FOR GUILLERMO:
My partner is applying for renewed medi-cal and we don't know whether to include me on the form. I'm in the process of applying for adjustment of status and have just received my temporary work authorisation. When I filled out the green card application, it mentioned that I wouldn't be able to get any federal financial support - or to be more specific, my sponsor would have to reimburse the cost. Now I've heard that (in California) Medi-cal is partly state-financed and I would therefore qualify for emergency Medi-Cal. Could you pls confirm that? I don't want to end up being a burden on our co-sponsor...
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Is the benefit for you or for your partner?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is renewing his own medical but I guess he now needs to count me as part of the household

But are you applying to use that benefit for you? Or is he applying for you to use that benefit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's my question. Can he apply for emergency medical for me or will that affect our co-sponsor?

He can apply for it, but if you use anything, he may have to pay the U.S. government back the value of those services that you use.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But the social services told us that we would be able to apply for emergency medi-cal for me because the program is partially state financed (as opposed to being a purely federal program). That's why I'm asking

There is a difference between being eligible and having to pay it back. Yes, you are eligible, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have to pay it back if you use the services. Sorry. You may be eligible, but until you become a U.S. Citizen or have paid 10 years of U.S. taxes through your work or through his work (while you are married, not what he paid before), he will have to pay back any means-tested public benefits that you use.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.