How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5200
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am and I am also Naturalized American citizen. My father,

Customer Question

Hello, I am Peruvian and I am also Naturalized American citizen. My father, never gave any support to my sister ans me and now he is asking for economic support for him. He was a drug addict and he has problem with the law here in USA where I live with my husband and my two little daughter and I am pregnant of a third child. The judge in Peru decided we pay (my sister and I) and amount for him monthly. He is not sick, but he is a liar and lazy man. We don't want to pay anything to a man who never did anything for us. He used to hit my mom almost to death and adultery in our own home. My question is if I resign to my Peruvian citizenship, could I ignore what the judge decided?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: t work for the last 4 years. I am a stay home mom for my children
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, I am US Citizen since 8 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The judge gave his final decision, telling my sister and me to pay him certain amount, he even said, that he morally doesn't deserve us to pay him, but it is lkaw and we must do it..but I don't work.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am married, soon with 3 kids and I don't work. He lives in Peru and cannot come back to USA. My sister lives there, but the question is about me getting rid of this..Could he make me come back to Peru, could he gets possession of my house, car etc that my husband and I got during marriage? We live pay check to pay check. I can't afford paying him a dime.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My girls are 4 years old and 2yeras old and one on her way. I am 5 months pregnant.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

A foreign country cannot force you to pay a judgment that has been given over in that country while you are in the US. The only way to do this is if the holder of the foreign judgment files suit in a proper court in the US and then the court which will determine whether to give effect to the foreign judgment or not. The Peruvian judgment there cannot affect your possessions here including your house and your car unless that happens. If you went to Peru it could be different and they may have a way to force to you pay. For that you would have to speak to a Peruvian law expert. I am an immigration law expert here in the US and can only answer questions as it pertains to the US. Again, they cannot enforce the judgment from Peru here in the US and cannot force you to pay anything UNLESS he comes here and get a US court to recognize it and enforce it.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to choose a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I resign to my Peruvian citizenship then they will lose all power over me? I was notify about my lawsuit by Peruvian consulate
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

They do not have power over you now even with the citizenship. Renouncing the citizenship would not necessarily change much but you can do it just in case. What is important is that the court judgment cannot be enforced here in the US unless it is done through a US court like I explained. Until that happens, it is not enforceable here and they cannot do anything to you or your assets here in the US.

I hope this helps and hope to have earned your positive rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank u so much!
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome. I hope this answer helped you and if it did, please remember to kindly choose from the stars to leave a positive rating for me. That's the only way I receive any credit. Thanks in advance.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again.. We spoke a few days ago and you seemed to be happy with my response. But I noticed you still had not left any feedback. . Whenever you have a chance, please remember to do this. It's very important for me. Also let me know additional questions. Thanks in advance for your consideration.