How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leena Kamat Your Own Question
Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 38
Experience:  Managing Attorney at Kamat Law Corporation
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Leena Kamat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a few more questions which I'm still unsure, 1.) Do I

Customer Question

Hi,I have a few more questions which I'm still unsure,1.) Do I need to file G-1145? and is it ok to file it if it is expired? There is no updated form for this that has been released as of now.
2.) What kind of affidavit for friends or relatives do we need to send exactly? Are these documents? Or are the photos of us together with friends and family acceptable? The forms that were signed by two witnesses were already taken by the city of Japan.
3.) We do not have wedding photos, is this ok? the only photos we have are of us together, our marriage certificate, us wearing our rings together, and a wedding cake my spouse's friend gave us. And we have photos of us together with her friends.
4.) Do I need to file form I-751 too? This one I have to pay an additional $680.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Leena Kamat replied 5 months ago.

I answered this in the other thread, but just in case:

1) You don't need to, but you may file a G-1145 - yes, it is OK that it is expired. Bear in mind that USCIS does not always send you an email/text even when you submit this form, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from them. And/or it may take a while, sometimes up to 3 weeks.

2) The affidavits are explained in the I-130 instructions ( page 3, item I -- it is just one example of what you can submit. You need to mix/match per your specific circumstances. Photos with friends/family are good evidence too.

3) That is fine if you don't have photos of the ceremony, as long as you overall have good examples to demonstrate it is a genuine relationship.

4) You won't file the I-751 until two years after your spouse enters the US with her immigrant visa - that too, it will only be needed if at the time she enters, you have been married for under two years. If the marriage is under two years, then she will be admitted with a conditional permanent resident card that is only valid for two years. In the 90-day window before the green card expires, she will need to file the I-751; you should look up the instructions and current fees at that time as they may change.

Related Immigration Law Questions