Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a few more questions which I'm still unsure, 1.) Do I

Customer Question
Hi,I have a few more...
Hi,I have a few more questions which I'm still unsure,1.) Do I need to file G-1145? and is it ok to file it if it is expired? There is no updated form for this that has been released as of now.
2.) What kind of affidavit for friends or relatives do we need to send exactly? Are these documents? Or are the photos of us together with friends and family acceptable? The forms that were signed by two witnesses were already taken by the city of Japan.
3.) We do not have wedding photos, is this ok? the only photos we have are of us together, our marriage certificate, us wearing our rings together, and a wedding cake my spouse's friend gave us. And we have photos of us together with her friends.
4.) Do I need to file form I-751 too? This one I have to pay an additional $680.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/30/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Leena Kamat,
 replied 9 months ago
Leena Kamat

I answered this in the other thread, but just in case:

1) You don't need to, but you may file a G-1145 - yes, it is OK that it is expired. Bear in mind that USCIS does not always send you an email/text even when you submit this form, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear from them. And/or it may take a while, sometimes up to 3 weeks.

2) The affidavits are explained in the I-130 instructions (https://www.uscis.gov/i-130) page 3, item I -- it is just one example of what you can submit. You need to mix/match per your specific circumstances. Photos with friends/family are good evidence too.

3) That is fine if you don't have photos of the ceremony, as long as you overall have good examples to demonstrate it is a genuine relationship.

4) You won't file the I-751 until two years after your spouse enters the US with her immigrant visa - that too, it will only be needed if at the time she enters, you have been married for under two years. If the marriage is under two years, then she will be admitted with a conditional permanent resident card that is only valid for two years. In the 90-day window before the green card expires, she will need to file the I-751; you should look up the instructions and current fees at that time as they may change.

Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat
Leena Kamat