Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a permanent resident(green card holder) and I am law…

I am a permanent resident(green...
I am a permanent resident(green card holder) and I am law abiding person with no problems with immigration or anything. I heard that the president has signed an executive order that stops visas etc to some middle eastern countries. I am from a muslim majority country(I am christian though but i guess it is irrelevant) and I didn't see my countries name on the list but it can change any time with another executive order.
My question is as a green card holder is it safe for me to travel to foreign countries and does my green card make me immune to this kind of executive orders? What if the president signs another executive order when I am abroad. Does he limit permanent residents from muslim countries to come back to the US after travel? Does the president have this power?
1/25/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What this current administration is doing is stopping issuance of temporarily refugees and visas from the following countries: Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. However, this does not affect LPRs who already have a greencard.

So yes, it is arguably safe. The President is not going to "void" a greencard of people from certain countries.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it mean even people(who have green cards) from those 7 countries can freely travel?

Yes.

Although any travel beyond 6 months still needs an I-131!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. I meant considering the regular rules and restrictions of green card so it is a short trip.
One last question: Does the president have power to sign an executive order to cancel permanent resident status of people(like for all green card holders from certain countries) or is it only congress?
Thanks again for your answers.

No, he does not. Or rather, he should not. Such an executive decree can and likely WOULD be immediately challenged in Court as illegal.

So in short, LPRs really should not have anything to worry about.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. Your answers are greatly appreciated. I think I made a mistake and gave you 4 stars. It is supposed to be 5 stars. Let me know if I can change it to 5 stars.
Have a great day.

No worries at all. All the best.