Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I'm a green card holder with Iranian nationality and I'm

Hello, I'm a green card...
Hello, I'm a green card holder with Iranian nationality and I'm currently in the process of naturalization (still waiting for my interview). I just read on Reuters that the new administration is going to block visas to be issued for people from some countries including Iran. I was wondering if it could affect the current green card holders like me or can it stop my naturalization process ?
1/25/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is likely no. The Trump administration is seeking to either have a limit on visas from countries linked to questionable activities, or, have extra background checks.

However, people who have already been issued greencards (i.e. Lawful Permanent Residents) are not going to be affected. And, the N-400 process should not be affected either. The Trump administration is more focused on greencards issued in the future.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law