Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girlfriend is green card owner, she won DVL last year. We…

My girlfriend is green card...
My girlfriend is green card owner, she won DVL last year.
We would like to get married and move to USA definitely.
Which is the best option for me to get green card and and work permit in the shortest time. I also have an I130 brother and sister petition filed since 2015.
Regards.
Maurizio
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

She already has the green card?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now she is in LA waiting for green card to be send to her but everything is ok just wait some days!

Ok. Yes, she can marry you and petition for you filing the I-130, but it will take about 2 years in order for you to be able to use it to immigrate. This is a waiting line of people that have applied before you and nothing in the law allows for you to jump ahead of anyone else in line, not even in an emergency. Here is a link to the process:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/family-preference.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I get married in the US and I'll stay there can I do an adjustment of status and get a shortest way to get green card?

No because she is not a U.S. Citizen. If you had some other status in the U.S. that lasted longer than 2 years (the time it takes for you to be able to use an I-130 she files for you), then you could try that. Some people get an F-1 student visa to come and study and then while in the U.S. they marry and file the I-130 and continue to stay legally under F-1 until the time comes.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years waiting is the best option?

Unless she signs up for U.S. Military service and gets U.S. Citizenship quickly, yes, the waiting period or around 2 years is most likely the most reasonable option.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for the advices!

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!