Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I get my green card mach 2016 diversity lottery, but I had…

Madame/sir good day I get my...
Madame/sir good day
I get my green card mach 2016 diversity lottery , but I had immigrant visa for one year, and after 6 months I spend in usa, I had to travel to south Africa to visit my spouse. I got visitor visa and a job with travel agency . And I I sign for courses at college, I let america since 16 July 2016, now it 6 months since I have been outside usa. I want to spend arround 10 months with my spouse before I travel back to usa.
Acually I have us banck account with my money in. A valid green card. SSN. I will fill my taxes this February.
My question is: if I will have any problem for entry to usa. Should I fly back to usa a soon as possible! Please any advance. Informations can help me I want to keep my status as a permanent resident in usa.
Thank you*
Kind regards
1/22/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Anyone that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and is outside of the U.S. for 180 days or more within any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year) creates a rebuttable presumption of abandonment of residency. That presumption can be rebutted by evidence to the contrary such as filing U.S. taxes, maintaining a home in the U.S. and paying that mortgage or rent, maintaining a U.S. drivers license, U.S. bank accounts with significant movement, etc.

Someone that has been outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without first having an approved re-entry permit has abandoned their residency and only in very few exceptions (such as serious illness) can they get it back.

Here is an official link:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

This may become a problem in one of your trips back into the U.S., when you apply to renew your residency card, or when you apply for U.S. Citizenship.

So basically, you should come back as soon as possible.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello sir
i am attending to stay 10 months ouside usa, because i sign at college for courses.
what document i need to provide to border officer when i fly back to usa

Proof that you have been paying U.S taxes, that you have a home in the U.S., that you have family in the U.S., that you have bank accounts in the U.S. and perhaps that you have a job waiting for you in the U.S.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only document i have , is my valid green card, us banck account with my money in , i will pay my taxes next months.

Ok. They will probably just give you a warning that you have to be spending more time in the U.S.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for your assistance.
have a good day

My pleasure.