Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Can my wife start a business after getting H4 EAD?

Customer Question
I am on H1B valid...

I am on H1B valid until March 2018 . I have my I140 approved 6 months ago. My wife have her H4 EAD and can work for any employer, my question is, can she open her own business, like invest $250 k and convert to business visa and then apply for a GC?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/18/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

What is her country of citizenship?

Hello Judith, Appreciate your response, my Wife is Indian with her H4 EAD, I would like her to open a subway store for $250k and change her to business visa and apply for GC, will that be an option? My current wait time to become current and apply i485 is at least 11 years from now, and I don't like to be tied with a single employer through out my life.

There are no treaty investor E visas for Indians.

She would have to invest $500K in a targeted employment area or Regional Center or $1 million in any business to qualify for the EB5 investor visa.

$250 will not get her anything.

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer