How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1458
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is in the ukraine she and I are talking about

Customer Question

my girlfriend is in the ukraine she and I are talking about getting married maybe in may what are my fastest options to get her into the U.S.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: not yet still doing my homework.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a Ret Soldier and I have traveled a lot and she and I have been dating for a few months an have met on Skype but not in person. I know that we have to meet in person to meet the immigration criteria but that is one of my questions. I want her to visit me here in the U.S to see how I live and where she will be living towards the end of this year.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank s so much
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I am an attorney and will answer your question. Has she ever had a US visa before? Are you currently in the US?

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 7 months ago.
The fastest way to bring her to the USA would be with a K-1 Visa (also known as a Fiance Visa). This is a nonimmigrant visa Visa issued to the fiancé(e) of a United States citizen.The K-1 Visa allows her to enter the United States for up to 90 days during which time you can eat married, and then file for Adjustment of Status (to obtain a "green card" and become a Legal Permanent Resident of the US).After filing for Adjustment of Status papers she can remain here while her application is processed.The visa is processed by the home country Immigrant Visa section of United States Embassy.You will have to show proof of the ongoing relationship when applying for the visa. That will consist of photographs, emails, letters and other signs of the relationship. Remember there is no minimum number of contacts required, just proof of an ongoing relationship. So you will have to meet in person at least once.The first step after meeting her will be to file a visa petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
This is done by mail, and you must complete Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, together with Form G-325A, Biographic Information.
You must also submit with the application, documentary proof of U.S. citizenship (such as a copy of a birth certificate or passport), as well as evidence of your courtship and intended marriage, a personal statement from each of you on the same topic, proof that you have met within the last two years, and a passport-style color photo of each of you, taken within the 30 days before submitting the petition. If there are any issues that might prevent your marrying -- for example, if one of you has been married before -- you will need to submit evidence to show divorce or death certificates for the previous spouse.
I hope this helps with your question. Remember to rate the question for credit and tracking so that I will get paid for assisting you today.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 7 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 7 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask.

Related Immigration Law Questions