Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

How money does a person have to have on them with a working

Customer Question
visa to come from Manilla...
how money does a person have to have on them with a working visa to come from Manilla to Australia?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I met a woman online and she wants to come here for us to marry and she was told she needs $8,000 on her to come to Australia.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would just like to know if she needs $8,000 to come here
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/11/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

She is saying that she has to show enough money in a bank account or her government will not let you leave? And I assume you have never met her in person before, just over the Internet, Skype, dating website, etc.? And she is asking you to provide that money?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

I'd like you to keep an open mind with what I am about to tell you. I am very passionate about this because I almost fell into this myself. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Be very careful with this. These are generally romance scams. We get at least two or three questions like this on the website per week.

Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship, perhaps just a friendship at first. They also may claim to be a citizen of the UK or US or Australia or wherever so that you would not suspect they have any ulterior motive. They pull at your heartstrings by telling stories of hardship or tragedy that they have suffered in their life. At some point they want to come visit. They may ask you to send money for a passport and/or plane ticket. They may tell you that they have money, perhaps even that they are wealthy, but their money is tied up or something like that, perhaps they tie it into a tragedy or something. Then the next step is when they supposedly have the passport and plane ticket, they suddenly come up with this Basic Travel Allowance or (BTA) which is supposedly to show authorities that they have enough money to fund their trip. This is a lie. There is no such thing. They ask you to send that money so they can put it into a bank account to show the authorities. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then the next part of the scam would be when they are supposed to arrive. You wait for them at the airport and they never show up. A few days go by, you get extremely worried, none of your methods of communication work, and then suddenly a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that the scammer has been detained/arrested by authorities for carrying something illegal, I have heard of unregistered gold and they say it would have been a gift for you (perhaps to pay you back for the money you sent). The friend or relative of the scammer then asks for you to send money to bribe or pay fines in order to have the scammer released. From there, I have not heard of how else they are able to get money out of people. Of course there are variations to the scheme, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Here is a link that you can go to for more information:

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/romance_scam.html (yes, it is a link from the U.S. Embassy in Ghana, but it applies to all different countries and I have seen this scam come from Russia, the Ukraine, Nigeria, and many other countries).

And here is another link from the government of Ghana:

http://www.ghanaimmigration.org/FAQ.html

and another:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/international_financial_scams_brochure.pdf

and another:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/financial_scams/financial_scams_4554.html?action=/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_960.html

and another from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow:

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/dating-scams.html

and one more:

http://romancescams.org/

Whatever you do, do NOT send money!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I hate it when I get the silent treatment when all I am trying to do is help. I guess you will need more convincing. Here are some links where you can review the different stories and not so much my answers that generally are the same:

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/1be1be9a7a354ef085a656b9b4a48a7d (South Africa - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/e50a38944f3d43079625203ff940a323 (Ghana - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/335788638e7f43859f3fa64f9fc153ef (Ghana - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/f7e83c87c7de4340a212a73e7fcf4225 (BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7151caa410e644e99300113c1c854d98 (Dubai - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/00ad6658c4b54ac2ab7a4cf89dccc3c0 (Russia - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7112cd5dc2434f6bb81c7187ba6b4491 (BTA - Ghana)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/99b2e0b8a8f64df9bf225d3fa7ddf124 (BTA/Fake Visa - Philippines)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7a6b64f9879741119a7d5ddbc994e307 (Nigeria - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/25ce5490ff4d47eca71277f6570cd78a (Ukraine - BTA)

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/29905dc4fd26498db4f1b5e37b1257ab (Ghana - BTA)

Please don't ignore me when I am just trying to help you.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.