How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My card expires today, can I still go to work? No, No, What

Customer Question

My green card expires today, can I still go to work?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What the cost to file and how long does it to take receive a new card, and can I work while waiting for it?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Immigration Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Can I do that now?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Although the Green Card may expire, lawful status as a U.S. permanent resident does not. So long as you continue to reside in the United States, you remain in lawful status, authorized for work in the United States, even if your Green Card has expired. Despite the expiration date on a Green Card, a lawful permanent resident can only lose resident status through formal revocation proceedings in Immigration Court or complete abandonment of residency by moving abroad.
So, while you need to apply to renew the green card, your permanent status in the US is still valid and you can still work in the US.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Immigration Law Questions