Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My husband is bread winner of the family so he's the one

Customer Question
sponsoring my uncle for a...
My husband is bread winner of the family so he's the one sponsoring my uncle for a visitor visa. He has filled out Form I-134 along with his tax returns, bank statements, etc. Would he have to fill out the letter to consulate and invitation in his name or could I write them in my name? Since he is the sponsor will I need to send his birth certificate and proof of relationship or only my birth certificate and passport copy? We are both US citizens, he was born here and I was naturalized through my parents when I was 3. Please give me any advice and a step by step detail of the process to assure everything goes smooth in this process.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/10/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, you can. You can write out the informal invitation letter to the US Embassy/consulate. The letter is informal, not mandatory, and simply helps the consular agent make a decision. However, it may be best that HE (the husband) fill it out since he is the one on the I-134. However, it is not required. The letter itself is not even required.

There is no need to send proof of identity/relationship - the letter can simply state who he/you is/are in relation. If you want to send in proof of documents, you can and it would not hurt but that is really considered going above and beyond.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law