Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Im an asylum applicant i came to us about 6 year ago. I

Customer Question
Hello, im an asylum applicant...
Hello, im an asylum applicant i came to us about 6 year ago. I entered illegal but surrender my self to border patrol and seek asylum now i have my ead and ssn, i have girlfriend she is us citizen we been together 3 years i want to know if i marry her do i need to leave the country to apply for green card?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have talked lawyer 3 year ago and he say i have to leave country to apply for green card
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/9/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello,my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Since you entered the US illegally, there is no way for you to get your greencard inside the US by marrying a US citizen. Once you are married and your girlfriend petitions you, then you need to apply for a waiver called I-601A. If your waiver gets approved, then unfortunately you still need to depart the US to your home country to get your immigrant visa (green card) there and then return to the US.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to choose a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

---------

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since i apply for the asylum i cant go to my home country so what i need to do

You still need to do the same thing. However, if your waiver gets approved, then you would have to figure out another country to go to and then return, which could be difficult. But you still need to leave the US. There is no way around that. And once you leave the US, there is a chance they will not let you back in.

I hope this helps and hope that I have earned your positive rating. Thank you.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney