How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have taken a Medical Leave of Absence for the fall

Customer Question

I have taken a Medical Leave of Absence for the fall semester-16.I would like to renter USA to enroll for spring semester.I have sent a mail to the DSO asking him to reactivate my SEVIS.I did not get any reply.Can I enter USA with inactive SEVIS record?.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 9 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.

Expert:  Expert James replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your patience. Please note, this is for informational purposes only. My response does not create an attorney-client relationship. I've considered your question. My answer is below.

Once you get your answers, please give me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, which I am certain you would want as well. So your rating is very important for my success. Thank you.

ANSWER: As to your question about entering the US with a terminated SEVIS: No, you cannot enter the US for F-1 student status with a terminated or inactive SEVIS record.

In order to re-enter the US as a student, you need a valid F-1 visa stamp, proof of enrollment in an SEVP-accredited university for the upcoming semester, and a new/initial I-20 with a new SEVIS ID and to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee again.

And if you have been outside the United States, and not attending classes for 5 months or more, you also need to apply for a new student visa to reenter the United States.

Even if the outcome is not what you wanted to hear, my goal is always to provide you with an excellent customer service experience. I hope I have done that.

If I have answered your question, please give me credit by giving me a positive rating. Without a positive rating, I do not get credit for helping you today, and I risk losing my job here. So I respectfully ***** ***** positive rating of 4 or 5 stars.

And if you have any additional questions, you can still ask them even after you've given a positive rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal immigration Expert.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still active. Do you have any additional questions? If not, please don't forget to give me credit for doing my job. Thank you!