Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I have L1 A visa and travelling to India after my project is

Customer Question

i have L1 A visa and travelling to India after my project is over how long my family can stay in usa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: i have I-94 valid for 2 more years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

So your I-94 expires in 2 years, but your L-1 employer is terminating your employment? When?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i am transferred to India and they are not terminating my employement

When do you come off U.S. payroll?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
dec 28 2016
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i just want to know how long my family can stay in USA
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they will try for some other project for me
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you there

Well, there is no grace period. You and your family are supposed to leave immediately. If you aren't planning to apply for a visa to come back to the U.S. any time soon, it probably won't matter if you overstay 30 days or so, but the quicker you leave, the easier it will be to convince a visa officer in the future that your overstay was brief, reasonable and would not happen again. If you reach 180 days of unlawful presence, however, it creates a 3 year bar to getting a visa again without a very hard to get waiver. It becomes a 10 year bar if you reach 1 year of unlawful presence.

So you and your family are suppose to leave immediately, but a few days or weeks of being out of status won't make much of a difference. If you can get a new project and get back on payroll for your current employer, it should be quick.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!