How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 713
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just looking for a starting point on the cost to fix my

Customer Question

Just looking for a starting point on the cost to fix my undocumented husbands papers
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No He has been here since 2000 we have been married for 6 years but together for 12-13 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We went a few years ago for a brief meeting but we did not go any further ... They seemed like they did not really know alot
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Please keep in mind that while the legal information I share with you may not be what you want to hear, the best that I can do is give you an accurate portrayal of the immigration law. I do not make these laws myself, and in fact many lawyers are lobbying to try to get some of these laws changed. Please don't hold it against me if it's not what you want to hear, again the best way I can help you is by giving you the accurate representation of the law that you need.

Here at JustAnswer the attorneys do not receive a salary, in fact I am only compensated after you leave me a positive rating of 3 stars or more. If that sounds amenable to you, please let me know and I'll prepare some information for you, thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds good . we are just tired and need to get going on the papers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have ? On how living with my parents and kids will effect his papers or if it don't matter?
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

No, that won't come into play until you get to the point of filing Form I-864 which is the Affidavit of Support, It requires you (or another qualified sponsor) to show that they make enough money to support all of their dependent household members, plus him.

How many years has he been in the US illegally?

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

The reality is that even if he marries you, a US citizen, this will not cure the fact that he has been here illegally in the US for an extended period of time.

Overstaying the expiration of a valid visa by more than one year, would normally subject someone to a 10 year ban from re-entry into the United States.

Entering the country illegally or through fraudulent means can result in a lifetime ban from the United States.

This is something that even marrying a US citizen cannot fix. However, there is one avenue, which is the 601 waiver which allows person who are subject to a re-entry ban to make a plea to have that ban lifted.

There is no appeals method for a denied 601 waiver, so my recommendation would be to have an attorney assist you so that you can get it submitted correctly the first time. Reasons for requesting the waiver involve showing that he would suffer extreme hardship by not being allowed to be in the US, for example separation from family and/ or children. He should also show any and all ties that he has to the US to help make his petition more persuasive.

Please keep in mind that even though there is this route of applying for the waiver, it is not guaranteed, and too many times there are persons who receive a denial. I truly wish the best of luck to your husband and family though.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, since as I mentioned before it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions