How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109302
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an expectant mother from Nigeria presently in Texas US

Customer Question

Hello, I'm an expectant mother from Nigeria presently in Texas US to have my baby. I want to do a degree course here in year 2018, get a job after my studies, work for 5 years. How long will it take me to get a resident permit and what are my chances of getting a job?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What visa did you use to enter the U.S.? What is your current legal status?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I entered with a B1B2 Visa, which I will be wiling to change to a F1 Visa after I get an offer of admission into a college.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

But when do classes start? And when does your B-2 stay expire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm just trying to plan ahead. I don't have the admission yet so classes don't start yet. My B1B2 visa expires Sept 2018. I also want to go back home Jan 2017, come back 2018. I have two other children who are Nigerians aged 2 and 3, and a husband back home.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

No. I didn't ask when your visa expires, I asked when your stay expires. Usually they give you 6 months. When does your stay expire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My stay expires May 17, 2016 but I will leave in Jan
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. You will need to find a school that is certified and will accept you. Here is a link:

If you are going to have your baby in the U.S., you need to make sure that you pay all the medical expenses because they will deny you entry on a B-2 or F-1 and maybe other visas as well for becoming a public charge.

Once approved by a school, you can either use the B-2 to come back and then change status from B-2 to F-1, or you can apply for an F-1 student visa from outside. As to work, I don't have good news for you. As a student you are supposed to come and study. You aren't supposed to come to work and take away opportunities from U.S. students and workers. So work is VERY restricted. Here are some links:

As to getting Residency, most students graduate, do OPT (as described in one of those links) through an employer, then that employer or another petitions for them to get an H-1B professional visa, then that employer or another files for them to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. It is a long process usually many years.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.