How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister in law just became a widow. She is an Indian

Customer Question

My sister in law just became a widow. She is an Indian citizen. Can I bring her and her 2 young children to USA easily?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for your family's loss;

unfortunately one cannot sponsor a sister in law based on family category; that is available for siblings, not in laws, unfortunately (and even siblings have many years wait).

The family category is applicable to spouse, children, parents & siblings of U.S. citizens

Otherwise, it is quite difficult to come to the US to establish residency.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm a US citizen. Been married 20 years. My wife holds a green card, she never became a citizen all these years. How should we go about bringing her just widowed sister to the US?
Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.

Oh; I assumed the sister in law was related by marriage; so she is a sibling of a resident. First the green card holder would need to get citizenship and then they can sponsor a sibling; please see:

Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.