How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4740
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ly from Egypt who are here on a student visa due to expire

Customer Question

ly from Egypt who are here on a student visa due to expire in May. The problem is they have an infant daughter who was born deaf with some other orthopedic issues. A cochlear implant has been suggested by doctors here to address the deafness, but by the time the surgery is done and services for intensive speech therapy start they will be out of time. Is there a way to extend their visa due to the medical hardship they are incurring with their daughter? My understanding of the culture where they live, children with any disability are treated very unkindly and shunned and sometimes abused not to mention there are no services available to help this child learn to hear. Would a medical hardship be a justificaiton for an extention?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: The last immigration lawyer tried to charge them 6000 dollars. They live in student housing and cannot afford this. How do we set up an appointment?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I will have to ask the family when I see them next My understanding is that they are here on a student visa while the husband attends law school. The mother stays at home with their daughter and has several providers come in to assist with the hearing impairment, occupatational therapy, and physical therapy to strengthen her for surgery.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: They have and were told it would cost 6000 dollars just to apply for an extention.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THey are very concerned about the safety of their little girl when they return to Egypt. They know that their culture may not accept the little one and may encounter abuse.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Yes, it is possible to apply for either a change of status from student visa to tourist visa right before their current visa expires or if the husband will continue studying he can extend his student visa.

I am happy to explain this to you in more detail over the phone. $6,000 is very overpriced for this process.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.


Please remember that I do not receive a salary from this website. I only receive credit when you leave me a positive rating. You will not be charged again for rating me and the question stays open for follow ups. Thank you for your consideration.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to schedule a call to talk about this so that I can report to the family.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is too late to schedule a call but I will call tomorrow and ask for Jennifer.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Sure, I can send you an offer for that now. It is an additional charge. You can accept it now though and We can set up a time to speak tomorrow.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Do you see a button to request a phone call?

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

It should say "CALL ME" Once you click that we can set up a time for tomorrow.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

If you have gotten offline and wish to request the call tomorrow, please first reply directly on this page tomorrow and wait for me to answer before asking for the phone call because that means I am online. If you do it when I am offline, another expert can answer your call request.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was charged 33 dollars this morning before I actually spoke to someone. Could you please advise?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, this is Jennifer. I do not work for the actual website so I cannot say for sure, but I do believe you are charged a portion of the question value as a deposit right away. The website needs some kind of guarantee that you are able to pay for the services, as you can imagine. If not they would be getting many people asking legal questions and never paying. But don't worry-- If you are unsatisfied at the end of the answer, you can always ask for a refund.

If you still wanted the phone call, feel free to click on "CALL ME" and it will send me the request for me to accept.

Related Immigration Law Questions