How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12185
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My GF has both a tourist VISA and F1 student visa. School

Customer Question

Hello My GF has both a tourist VISA and F1 student visa. School starts in Early April 2017 the school requires her to arrive early March. But she wants to arrive Early feb for us to travel before school starts. Therefore im aware that f1 visas allows entry 30 days before school starts, but can she use her tourist visa to enter before? Shes not planning in exiting and coming back in before school starts.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 10 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you.

As we work through this, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, please leave me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job. Please do not forget to do this before leaving the site. Like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. I am sure you understand.

ANSWER: She can use either to enter the US. But I do not recommend doing that. Because if she comes as a visitor, and then she wants to become a student without leaving the US, she would have to file form I-539, Application to Change Nonimmigrant status from B to F. There is no way it will be processed by the time she wants to starts school, based on the timeline you describe. Therefore, the best option is for her to come to the US on the F1 student visa, 30 days prior to the start of school. She can travel and then start school when the time is right.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. If you still have more questions, you can ask them even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I did not get credit for answering your question yet. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else?

Please let me know either way.

Thank you!