How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108637
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian post secondary graduate with a 3 year

Customer Question

I am a Canadian post secondary graduate with a 3 year bachelor of science degree obtained in Canada.
Please note that although it's called a 3 year degree, I actually studied in the same university for 6 years (full time) in Science but earned a '3 year general science degree' because I switched my academic program, hence the long time in university.
I want to apply for H1b visa. Will they consider all my years in post secondary Science program in their calculation?
I understand that generally speaking H1b visas encompass commonly 4 year Bachelor Degrees, so will a 3 year degree + 3 additional years of post secondary education be counted?
In my transcript, I have so many credit hours that course for course, I have as many courses as someone with a 4 year science degree.
Thank you for advice.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It's common that they consider 3 years of experience for every 1 year missing from a 4 year degree. Basically, you need to have an evaluation service review your education and experience and make a determination as to if it is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. This will be evidence to support your argument that you do. If USCIS agrees, you would be eligible for the H-1B. I personally have only used one such service but have always been satisfied with their results. Here is a link:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Felix. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Felix. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.