How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5220
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an international student. I was out of status because i

Customer Question

Hello. My name is***** am an international student. I was out of status because i dropped all classes Spring 2016. I filled reinstatement in August 4 2016. they just sent me an email and asked for financial information. They said: " please sumit documentary evidence tp show that you have the ability to pay for your tuition and living expenses throughout the duration of your studies on your Form i-20 approximately $22,980. a simple statement will not suffice" how much should i have in my bank
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: i enrolled for the Spring 2017 and set up a payment plan. i did not know school will let USIS knows about it. i think that is why they sent it to me
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet. i have just got their mail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do i need to pay some money to work with a lawyer? Do you know who can help me without paying. I may not have money to pay for lawyer
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

They are not asking you because of the payment plan. USCIS always wants to know that you can afford the school and your living expenses in the US. If your I-20 is for 12 months, then you usually have to show at least 12 months worth of money and then explain where the rest will come from. If you do not have it, show what you do have and then get a letter from the school that you are on a payment plan and show how you will pay that.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.