Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My father has been a permanent resident of the US since

Customer Question

My father has been a permanent resident of the US since around 1969, from Ecuador. His green card has been expired for 10 years, and would like to start the process of naturalization. Should we renew his green card before starting that process or can we go straight to the naturalization process? Also, I'm not sure if he registered with Selective Service, but I'm not sure if that complies with rules in 1969, coming to this country when he was 17/18.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That my father I think lived in New York at first, but has lived in New Jersey for more than 40 years.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.