Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My card is expired and I have to travel due to death of my

Customer Question
My green card is expired...
My green card is expired and I have to travel due to death of my father. I am in process of getting citizenship. Is there any way that i can re enter?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am a Permanent Resident with expired green card, naturalization form is pending, i have received a letter of scheduled initial interview
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/5/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.5

My condolences for the death of your father. You have a 10 year green card that has expired? Did you file an I-90 to renew it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 10 year green card which is expired, and no i have not filed I-90 to renew it.

Ok. And where do you have to travel to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Poland, My father was a US citizen and died oversea.

Ok. What you do is apply for a transportation letter or boarding foil at the U.S. Embassy in Poland. Here is an official link:

https://pl.usembassy.gov/visas/special-immigrant/permanent-residents/boarding-foils-formerly-transportation-letters/

Yes, I know it states about lost or stolen green cards, but it works the same for expired green cards. Also, just so you know, even though you have an expired card, you are still a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. So apply for the boarding foil to come back to the U.S. once you are in Poland.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.