How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have won the DV Lottery, passed the Interview and got the

Customer Question

I have won the DV Lottery, passed the Interview and got the 6 month immigration visa.
The next step for me is to get the 551 stamp once I enter the USA.
My question is : how long can I stay out of the USA "after" having received the 551 stamp ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NOTE : I work online and therefore I am used to be traveling a lot.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have found this online " As a general rule, if you have a green card and leave the United States for more than one year, you may have difficulty reentering the country. That is because the U.S. government feels that an absence of longer than one year indicates a possible abandonment of U.S. residence. Even if you do return before one year, you may run into trouble. To avoid a full-scale inspection, return within six months. "BUT I would like to know what the law exactly says
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
know exactly how long can I stay out of the USA without being questioned
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Six months.

Related Immigration Law Questions