How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5091
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if there is anything that can help my case.

Customer Question

I was wondering if there is anything that can help my case. I am 46 years old from Guatemala. I have a daughter who was born in the US and she is currently 16 years old. My older children who are 23, 24, and 27 have DACA. I have been in the US since 1992. I had a deportation filed against me and did not leave the country. For this reason there was nothing i could do any longer during all those years, every lawyer would turn me down. In 2012 there was a paralegal that helped, I'm not sure what he did but i began getting mail from USCIS and there was this one letter that said that the judge working in my case was unavailable and that they had ruled in my favor. The paralegal said it was great news and it meant that the deportation had been taken off. In the beginning of 2013 (February) I was summoned to court and the judge there said there wasn't anything he could do to adjust my status as there was no reform that I could apply on. However, he said he would leave my case as pending and in doing so it would allow me to get a work permit and renew it yearly without any expiration, until a new reform will surface. Since then I have renewed my work permit 3 times already without any issues.On my court appearance the paralegal contacted one of his friends who is an immigration lawyer to go with me. That day the immigration judge also said to not lose contact with this lawyer as he knew how to process my permit renewal. Just this week I visited the immigration lawyer in order to renew my permit once again. he helped me submit the application, however he is not giving me any info on this case and i no longer can reach the paralegal. He said to just wait and that there is still nothing I can do to adjust my status and to just keep renewing the work permit with him.Any second opinions?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

It sounds like you are on the right track so far and you are very lucky that the case was reopened and you have been able to get work permits. The only solution I see in your case right now is for your 16 year daughter who is a US citizen to petition you when she is 21 years old. If any of your older children are able to get their green card and then citizenship, then they can do it first if they are citizens. If you entered the US illegally, then once one of your children petitions for you on form I130 and your petition is approved, you will need to apply for an I-601A waiver. If it is approved, then you can return to your country and go to an interview there where you will receive the green card and then you can come back in. Unfortunately for now, there is nothing else but waiting. I'm so sorry, I wish had better news but I must be honest with you.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago but you did not ask any follow up questions or leave me any feedback. Is there anything else I can do to earn your positive rating.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of our hard work and time.