How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108690
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My bf is c1/d visa and I'm immigrant is it possible that we

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my bf is c1/d visa and I'm immigrant is it possible that we can be together after his contract?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: my ir2 I'm ir2 my stepmom petition me when I was 20 shes American citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes but maybe its expensive to ask a lawyer
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. You are already a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Please respond here. How long have you had U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4 1/2 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm immigrant, came here april 19, 2012
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Well, I have good news and bad news. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

First, he is currently here because he entered the U.S. as a crewmember?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
his here, and still in the working in the ship
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. I came here April 19, 2012. My petitioner is my American Citizen stepmom, my visa status is IR2. When I can file my citizenship? I have boyfriend in Cruiseship right now, his visa is c1/d? Can I petition him while on board as immigrant? or do I need to be a citizen to petition him? Can he changestatus here in America? We don't want to be apart already.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Well, the good news is that when you reach 4 years and 9 months of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency, you can file the N-400 and within 5 to 7 months or so, you should have U.S. Citizenship if all goes well. The bad news is that the C-1/D is one of the worst visas to have. I am so glad you are checking this now because too many people make the mistake of thinking that they can stay and marry a U.S. Citizen and everything will be ok. That is one of the 2 visas that he CANNOT stay and Adjust Status. There are no exceptions for you to help him stay. He MUST leave. You can save time by filing an I-130 for him now and upgrading it after you become a U.S. Citizen. He should be able to come to the U.S. just a few months after you become a U.S. Citizen. I am truly sorry, I know you do not want to be separated, but as I said, that's one of the worst visas to have.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions