How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108968
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was Denied a card a couple of months ago because myself

Customer Question

i was Denied a green card a couple of months ago because myself and my wife were going through a difficult time after over 2 years of marriage she decided to pull out. now we are going through a divorce. i have been working with an EAD for 2 years and the most recent one i have expired couple of weeks ago. please i will like to know if it is possible to get my Employment Authorization Renewed under Any bases so i can continue to work.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

So you never got even your 2 year green card?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no i did not get my green card in 2 years Sir.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

That's a shame. You might not be able to do anything at this point. Can you prove that she abused you, either physically or that you suffered extreme emotional abuse? These things should be backed up with police and/or medical reports and/or witnesses, etc.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not at all. nothing liike that ever happened in our marriage. you think i wont be able to renew my Work Authorization under any bases?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

The problem is that you have no basis. Once the I-485 is denied, your EAD is automatically cancelled. You had 30 days to appeal. Had you appealed, you could have kept the EAD active, but now it is too late. What was the visa that you used to enter the U.S.?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i came into the US with a F-1 student visa.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

And I am assuming that you did not maintain your F-1 status?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no sir
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Then unfortunately, there really is no basis for you to be able to renew your EAD if you are not able to prove that she abused you. However, if you marry another U.S. Citizen in the future (for love, not papers), you could start the whole process all over again. I do have some good news. You are not a priority for deportation. Why? Because the government is short on money at the moment and they just don’t have the money to deport everyone that is deportable from the U.S. Because of that, they are focused on deporting persons that have serious crimes. So as long as you have no crimes in your background, your risk is very low. Here is a link and the most updated one:

I wish I had better news for you, but the options are limited at the moment.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.