How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108658
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have the following situation. on the year 2005, a

Customer Question

Hi there, I have the following situation.
on the year 2005, a committed a crime cashing a check for about $4,800, I went to jail for 2 days. Months later I went to the trial and the prosecutor tried to charge me for "theft by taking" FELONY. At the end of the trial the final judgment was "theft by taking MISDEMEANOR with 6 moths probation and 80 hours of community service. I completed every step with the justice system.
My immigration status was "out of status" visa B1 expired and overstayed the country (USA).
On the year 2011, I married a USA citizen and he petitioned for me to obtain an adjust of the status and/or green card. At the time of the interview with the immigration officer, he looked at my background and mentioned the needed of consult with his superiors because of the incident mentioned at the beginning. a few days later I got approved and received the green card by mail.
2 years later my husband sent the new package to USCI asking the "removal of condition" of my green card. Few month laters I received the new approval notice and the new card by mail without any issues.
I already divorced the US citizen and it's been 5 years since I obtained the first green card and now I want to apply for a citizenship.
Finally, my question is if I will experiment once again any issues because of my incident in back 2005 and what steps if any, do I need to complete in order to obtain the citizenship?
Thank you ***** this the only incident I had in my entire life.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did you provide certified copies of the police report and court disposition to USCIS when you got your green card?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
USCIS are keeping all the certified and/or original documents of this incident.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Then you should not have anything to worry about as they are already aware of it and you were approved for Residency and it has been longer than 5 years since the close of your case including time on probation. Just make sure you answer all questions on the N-400 honestly, that you disclose the issue and maybe you may want to submit a certified copy of completion of probation if that wasn't submitted before.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Carolina. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions