How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109030
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How is the processing time?when u petition siblinb from

Customer Question

How long is the processing time?when u petition siblinb from canada to move in USA
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long is the processing time if i petition my brother to come to US?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Even though the person maybe has Canadian citizenship, where was the potential immigrant born?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Born in the phil! My brother is only permanent resident in canada married.but my mom lives here in US as permanent resident .me the sister US citizen
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My brother is born in the Philippines
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If my mother petition my brother how long does it take?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Your mother is a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident? Your brother is single or married?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My mother is a US permanent resident and my brother is married but we just want our brother to petition at this time
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

There is no category for married son or daughter of a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. So for your mother to petition for him, he would have to either divorce or she would have to become a U.S. Citizen. If he divorced, it would take 10 years or so for a visa to become available to him through your mother. If she were to become a U.S. Citizen and he stayed married, it would take 22 years. Through you, it would take 23 years. This is because too many people from your country have applied in those categories and it has created a long waiting line and nothing in the law allows for anyone to jump ahead of anyone else in line, not even in an emergency. You can take a look at the Visa Bulletin to see what I mean:

The dates that you see there in the column for the Philippines are dates as to I-130s that were filed that can now be used to immigrate. Under siblings, it is 1993. I wish I had better news for you. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if im the one will petition my brother im the sibling if takes how many years ?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

About 23 years. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions