How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12163
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in 1975 and had a baptismal certificate but no

Customer Question

I was born in 1975 and had a baptismal certificate but no birth certificate. I was in the military and with all the moving lost my Baptismal certificate. Now I don't have a way to prove my birth except for a copy of the certificate. I was told to get a delayed Birth certificate by USCIS. Do you know how I can do this through new York state
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I currently live in Colorado but I was born in New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I tried filing a N600
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: One if those forms that grant me citizenship through my military service
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me some time to review your question. It might take a little while, but I WILL be back to continue this conversation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

Do you know if a delayed birth certificate was ever produced? Or are they telling you to have one produced?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was never one produced. They told me I needed to get one but I don't know how to go about doing so. I
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

OK, please allow me some time to do the research for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: You cannot directly apply for a delayed birth certificate. You need to first place an order for a birth certificate. If it is not found, the department will notify you, and send you an application for a delayed birth certificate. You will file that with the requested evidence indicated in the application. Unfortunately, there is no way to go directly to that application, without first making the order for a birth certificate. So while you know or think a birth certificate was never issued to your parents, the department has to confirm that before giving you the application for the delayed birth certificate.

You can place the order for the birth certificate here: There will be a link to order a birth certificate online.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a request had been done twice before and I have the paperwork that said no record was found. Does that mean that I have to do it All over again
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

Did they not send you an application for a delayed birth certificate with the denial?

Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

And do you still have the evidence that you placed the order and nothing was found?