How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12185
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was assaulted and I'm here illegally the person said if I

This answer was rated:

I was assaulted and I'm here illegally the person said if I don't drop the charges they were going to send me back
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Is it that easy?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to start the process to stay here

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you.

I don't see your actual immigration question? Is what that easy?

I know you are illegally here now, but did you enter the US legally or did you enter illegally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm a illegal immigrant. I got married but now separated she assaulted me got me with a car and I pressed charges per instruction by the police. Now the family said if I don't drop the charges they can have me sent back.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wife hit me with a car.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure what steps to take to become legal

So what is your question then? If they can send you back or have you sent back?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm in pgh pa can they just send me back if I don't drop the charges
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The question if they can have me sent back.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or send me back it's the same right

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: First of all, what they are doing is blackmail, which is a crime in most states. It is illegal.

Second, they, themselves, cannot force you to leave. They can report you to immigration authorities, but they cannot make you leave themselves.

One thing to consider to get legal is the U-visa, for victims of crimes who have assisted the government authority (in this case, the police) in prosecuting a crime. With this visa, if you can get the police to provide a form saying you helped to prosecute a crime that was committed—in this case, against you—then you can apply for a U-visa. If that is approved, then you can later apply for a green card to become legal.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I asked If they call immigration will they send back if I didn't do anything and how do I apply for the u visa?

I need you to give me a positive rating before you leave the site today. I do not work for free.

Immigration can send you back because you are here illegally. But again, they are doing something criminal. They can get into trouble for this.

Here is the information on how to apply for the visa:

Please do not forget to give me 4 or 5 stars before leaving the site today. Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and may require additional assistance. However, I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They arrested her today so I guess she'll be reporting me. Thanks for your advise