Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Can a mom change the citizenship to the child without the

Customer Question
Hi can a mom change...
Hi can a mom change the citizenship to the child without the father promotion?the child was born there where the father from
The mother tok the child to the USA and changed the citizenship
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She gave the the immigration wrong and not truth answers
The father doesn't know what to do to get the child back home
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2016
Immigration Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney

Please describe the situation alittle more.

A child cannot disclaim or renounce citizenship, so at most the child may now be a dual citizen, but still retains his or her natal citizenship.

Are there any court orders relating to the child?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The mother is US citizenship the father is Norwegian citizenship they lived in Norway when the child was born both mother and father 2 years later the mother wanted a A vacation she take the child and never came back she lied about the father she Leid about too many things this way she can get the citizenship to the child without the father promotion because in Norwegian law she can't do that no court or anything still
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The mother is a US citizen, and the father is a Norwegian citizen. They used to live together in Norway, and the child is born in Norway. So the child is a Norwegian citizen. The mother wanted to take a vacation, and took the child with her, but she never came back. She's managed to somehow get the child a US citizenship. We share custody for the child, so how could she even get the citizenship for the child without my (the father) consent?

Were the parents married?

Did the mother report the birth to the US Embassy?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we were married and the only thing I know that she told the US immigration that the father has disappeared we don't know nothing about him and that's not truth.
And I as a father wants the child back home and the mother is refuses

Have you filed a custody case in Norway?

How long ago did she leave? Are you still married?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't filed for custody in Norway yet. She left four years ago, and we are still married. I thought my daughter was having a good life here, but I've come here to visit her, and now I see she's not being cared for properly.

It was illegal for her to take the child out of Norway without your consent, see

http://www.international-divorce.com/norway_family_law

You can find child custody attorneys in Norway listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm in the US now, isn't there anything I can do from here?

In which State is the child located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moreno Valley California

You can get a free consultation from some of the local child custody attorneys listed here.

If they have been in the county over 6 months, California has jurisdiction to adjudicate a divorce and child custody.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I can't be in the US for a long time so what kind of rights do I get ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about the Norwegian embassy in the US?can they help for anything?

You can hire a US lawyer to start the process of getting an enforceable visitation order (and a divorce if you want that). You do not have to be here for every hearing and there is a chance the case can be settled. I am not aware of what, if anything, your embassy can do in this situation but you can ask if they are able to bring charges against her for taking the child out of Norway without your consent.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer