Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am a permanent resident in the United States from the

Customer Question

I am a permanent resident in the United States from the Philippines for more than 5 years. I married to a US citizen. I have 3 adult children, all are unmarried and one grandchild living in the philippines and are philippine citizens. None of my children are not legally married. My questions are: for my children and grandchild to visit the United States,they must apply for a tourist visa, is that correct? Does my grandchild also a minor, 15yrs of age must also apply for a tourist visa? How long can my children visit in the United States with a tourist visa? at the end of that time, must they return to the Philippines? Must I pitition for each of my children for a family visa for them to remain in the United States and apply for permanent residency? how long can they remain in the United States before applying for and receiving permanent residency? Approximately how long is the process of pititioning for a family visa? what qualifications must I have to pitition a family visa for all of my children or grandchild?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

My questions are: for my children and grandchild to visit the United States,they must apply for a tourist visa, is that correct?

CORRECT

Does my grandchild also a minor, 15yrs of age must also apply for a tourist visa?

CORRECT

How long can my children visit in the United States with a tourist visa?

AS A GENERAL RULE A VISITOR IS GIVEN A 6 MONTH PERIOD ADMISSION AT ENTRY. IF THE CUSTOM'S OFFICER HAS A SUSPICION OF THE VISITOR INTENDING TO WORK OR STAY LONGER THEY CAN EITHER 1: REFUSE THEM ENTRY; OR 2: GIVE THEM A SHORTER PERIOD OF STAY.

at the end of that time, must they return to the Philippines?

CORRECT

Must I pitition for each of my children for a family visa for them to remain in the United States and apply for permanent residency?

YES, EACH ADULT CHILD MUST HAVE THEIR OWN PETITION FILED. THE MINOR CHILDREN WOULD BE INCLUDED IN THEIR PARENT'S PETITION.

how long can they remain in the United States before applying for

YOU CAN APPLY FOR THEM THE DAY OF ENTRY

and receiving permanent residency?

MARRIED CHILDREN OF A US CITIZEN WILL TAKE 22 YEARS. THOSE WHOSE PETITION WAS FILED 08JUL94 ARE NOW BEING CALLED FOR INTERVIEW.

SINGLE ADULT CHILDREN IS APPROX 11 YEAR WAIT 01AUG05

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2017/visa-bulletin-for-october-2016.html

Approximately how long is the process of pititioning for a family visa?

SEE ABOVE

what qualifications must I have to pitition a family visa for all of my children or grandchild?

YOU MUST MEET INCOME REQUIREMENTS. SEE THIS LINK

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith