Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Guillermo I have a question here.I was H1b until july 2016

Customer Question

Hello Guillermo
I have a question here.I was H1b until july 2016 and have applied for h4 before my employment ended with my previous employer.I have got a new job and they have applied for h1b transfer while my H4 is still pending at the USCIS. I have got my H1b approval for my new employer but it has been approved for consular processing.My company attorney has advised me to
Leave the country and return so that my new H1b would be active.But as my previous H1B stamp is valid until 2018 , she has suggested that I do not need to go for new visa stamping.Please advise if i have to got for new visa stamping?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me by name. As long as your H-1B visa stamp is still good, you can use it. Since you have not had any time out of status, it should still be good. So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to leave the U.S. and come back in using the H-1B visa and the new I-797 approval notice.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it ok if I travel to mexico? As I live in california it is very easy for me to drive and just come back on the same day.and also i have heard that we do not need a seperate visa to enter mexico if we have a valid US visa.Is that true?

Yes, that should work as well. However, I cannot tell you about entering Mexico. I would contact a Mexican consulate to find out:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/documents/ea_MXConsulCal.pdf

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.