How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3958
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been researching on how to petition my mother. no not

Customer Question

I've been researching on how to petition my mother.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no not yet I am waiting to turn 21
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was hoping that as soon as I turn 21 I would do all of this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well my mother has a visa, or at least I think so, and I believe she has a social as well but then again I'm not sure. I think she is also undocumented. Sorry I really don't know much of my mother's status on the subject.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please tell me:

1) Where does your mother live now?

2) What is her status - you say she is undocumented?

3) What can I answer for you exactly, i.e. what is your question? For example: "What forms would I need to file?"

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. She lives in the U.S.
2. She might be but then again I'm not sure because she does have a passport
3. What forms would I need to file?
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Does she have a United States Passport? Or a Passport from another country?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe she has a U.S. Passport because we did move from California about 7 years ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

If she has a US Passport, then she is an American citizen. Then, why would you want to file for her to get immigration status, since she already has American citizenship?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because she has a passport but she is also undocumented from she told me
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
She cannot be undocumented if she has a US Passport. Unless, she got that US Passport via fraudulent means.
Is there any way you can find out specifically what her status is and then get back to me?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not at the moment but possibly at some other time.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

That is fine. Because it is crucial to figure out her status and background, we can put a pin in this conversation for now. Once you are ready, simply reply back to this thread.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for responding to my question even though I had little information to give.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
I haven't answered anything yet. Please come back when you have more information and we can continue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay and Thanks again
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Sure thing.

Related Immigration Law Questions