How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife was brought here illegally when she was a child, but

Customer Question

My wife was brought here illegally when she was a child, but she currently has a work visa and we are applying for a green card. We did the I-485 and I-130 and did her biometrics, but now they are saying that we have to do the I817 and pay a $1000 fine. Is there any way we can avoid paying the fine, because we can't afford to pay it right now
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I think Her permanent residence application is on hold until we submit the I817, but she has a valid work visa until April
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, we cannot afford a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Are you sure that they are asking for the I-817 ? Can you attach a copy of the request that you received from USCIS?

You are not charged any more to reply or attach anything. I just want to make sure I have all the right information. Thanks!