How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot obtain a copy of my visa that I came here many

Customer Question

I cannot obtain a copy of my visa that I came here many years ago. Embassy, department of state are no help.
My original visa, on which I came to US, was in my original passport, which expired a few years ago. My new passport does not have my visa anymore, and I need of copy of it in order to file my case with USCIS.I tried their website, could not find my records. US embassy in my country isn`t helping either. How can i obtain a copy of my visa?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Consider filing a freedom of information act request. See HERE. The federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) applies to USCIS, and individuals can use this to get records for their case in many instances, if USCIS has a copy of what you are seeking.

From the site:

USCIS uses a 3-track system to process FOIA requests.

  • Track 1 is for less complex cases in which a requester needs only one or only a few specific documents from the file.
  • Track 2 is for more complex cases. Examples of a complex case include requesting a complete copy of a file, requests from the news media, or special interest groups. If we receive a request for specific documents which implies most of the file (for instance, “the asylum application and all supporting documents,”) we will assign the request to the complex track.
  • Track 3 is an accelerated track for cases involving individuals who are to appear before an immigration judge. In order to receive Track 3 priority processing, you must include one of the following documents with the FOIA request:
    • Form I-862, Notice to Appear, documenting a future scheduled date of the subject’s hearing before the immigration judge;
    • Form I-122, Order to Show Cause, documenting a future scheduled date of the subject’s hearing before the immigration judge;
    • Form I-863, Notice of Referral to Immigration Judge; or
    • A written notice of continuation of a future scheduled hearing before the immigration judge.

If you have any questions concerning your pending FOIA/PA request, please:

  • Call the National Customer Service Unit at 1-***-***-****
  • Fax questions to the National Records Center at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####/em>
  • E-mail your questions to *****@******.***

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions