Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Do I need to notify USCIS once my divorced has finalized? Or

Customer Question
is it up to my...
Do I need to notify USCIS once my divorced has finalized? Or is it up to my foreign ex-wife to notify them? My divorce finalized in February 2016.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

What process are you in with USCIS that you think they need to be notified about your divorce?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea. I don't know where my ex wife is. She disappeared. I just don't want to be responsible for her from an immigration standpoint since I don't know where she is. I also do not want to get in trouble with immigration if I should report something to them and I fail to do so. Please tell me what my responsibilities are at this point with immigration. Last I knew, her status was a temporary permanent resident.

Thanks for the information. Sorry this has happened. The good news is that You do not have a responsibility to report the divorce to USCIS. You have not done anything wrong and there's nothing for you to get in trouble over.

It is in her benefit to report the divorce to USCIS while applying to convert her status to permanent resident through form I-751. She can do that even if she is divorced. If she does not do that, then she will lose her conditional (temporary) resident status in the US.

But again, that is up to her. There is no law or regulation that states that you must report any of that.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney