How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109685
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I renew my card after felony- drug related, completed 5

Customer Question

Can I renew my green card after felony- drug related, completed 5 years probation. No aggravated felony, I lived 11 years before committing the crime, I was give asylum, my country now not OK withmy case.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. They looked into the papers I got from the immigration, certifying my 5 year probation, don't know what the ICE has concluded. No NTA note given to me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was in 1998, committed crime after 11 years, I have 1a 27 years marriage , with my husband, now in the US , American citizen, I have 5 kids, and 5 grand kids.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: now, the immigration I have been reporting to is Minnesota, Minneapolis.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What was the drug and in what amount?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


I don't have it ready, but we have submitted a document to the Immigration 1998 that explained how Yusur Said was tortured, raped and still she carry the bruise on her body. Being an Oromo or supporting an Oromo in Ethiopia gas been a crime one has to pay for it.

Is it possible to recover the letter from the Immigration.

Is it not true still being an Oromo is still a risk for being tortured.

I will go home and look fro the copy of the letter .

I can bring affidavit witness from the Oromo Community that if I go back to my country of origin, Ethiopia, I will risk my life.

How can you help.

Is there any possibility.

My be the Immigration know what is going on in my country and hence halted my NTA letter,


Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can file a G-639 Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request and get a complete copy of the immigration file which should include the information that you seek. It is free but may take 2 to 3 months or more to process. Here is a link:

I would not renew the green card with a drug offense on the record. I would try to get rid of the offense and for that, there are three options:

1) Get a full and unconditional governor's or U.S. Presidential pardon for the crime.

2) Hire a VERY good criminal attorney to look into the possibility of reopening your criminal case because something was done incorrectly at the criminal level. If the case can be reopened, then the conviction needs to be vacated (set aside) and then you would need an agreement from the prosecutor not to prosecute you again (which they can do). You can try looking for an attorney at

3) Convince the majority of the U.S. Congress to change the law or to make a law of special application only for you called a Private Bill.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Yusur. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.