Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I want to marry my American girlfriend but I'm unsure how to

Customer Question

Hi! I want to marry my American girlfriend but I'm unsure how to go about it. I'm reading a lot of different answers but I'm unsure. I'm in the States now but I've heard it's illegal to marry right now, is that true?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Marriage is not the problem. If you want to marry to get status, I need to know how you entered the U.S. originally. Did you use a visa? Which?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If you entered on a B-2 visa, or F-1 visa, or pretty much any visa that is not D-1 (crewman visa), K-1, or K-3 (fiancee or spouse visa that you do not marry the person that sponsored you), or a J-1 (that has the 2 year home residency requirement), then you can marry a U.S. Citizen at any time and file the following paperwork to be able to stay in the U.S.: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of you), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your spouse's U.S. Citizenship, proof of your legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of your spouse to prove their income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

If you entered the U.S. illegally, then most likely marriage to a U.S. Citizen will not help you stay.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices though I can only discuss those in private, not an open forum like this. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.