How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5069
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife, a naturalized citizen would like to bring her

Customer Question

My wife, a naturalized citizen would like to bring her unmarried over 21 daughter and her grand daughter from Bolivia. Reading that F1 visa would be the answer, to get them here and then petition for permanent residence. Please advise.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Not now. I am U.S born wife is naturalized being married to me 15 yrs ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Yes, the F1 is definitely the visa for this. To begin the process she needs to file the I-130 petition for her daughter. She does not need a separate one for her granddaughter. She will be automatically included. The form has a fee of $420 and can be found on It takes about 4-6 months for an approval but then after that unfortunately there is a long wait for there to be a visa available in the category. Right now the wait is about 7 years. The sooner she files it, the sooner she can hold her place in the line. Sometimes it speeds up but this is the wait time right now.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we file I 130 now, and then file for student visa, what is the recommended timing for filing for these visas
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

We are talking about two separate things here.

The F1 that I am referring to is the immigrant visa, family category F1 which is for children of US citizens over 21 years old to get a green card. Your wife would submit an I-130 to do this. However, there is a 7 year wait for them to be able to come to the US with their green card.

They also have a choice of having your wife's daughter apply for the Student visa/ F1 nonimmigrant visa. If she is approved she can apply for this visa and bring her young daughter with her immediately. Once she is in the US, your wife can file the I-130 and begin that wait. However, she must keep up the student visa and continue studying because if not she must leave the US. She cannot stay in the US without the student visa just because she has an I-130 pending or approved.

I hope this clarifies and hope to have earned your positive rating.