How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109313
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While the client's family will pursue renewal of the card,

Customer Question

While the client's family will pursue renewal of the card, was advised that it will take 8 months to renew since she can't leave the facility. What can be used for proof of citizenship in the meantime. I know it's still valid but where/how to prove?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Is she a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident or a U.S. Citizen? What facility is she in? Why?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a lawful permanent resident but her green card expired and the family never renewed it. Now she is in a long term care facility in Tewksbury MA. The family applied for Medicaid to pay for the nursing home and they asked for a new card or proof that that the citizenship granted by the card is still valid.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Was it a 10 year green card that expired or a 2 year green card? How old was she when it expired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was a 10 year card - which says that the resident since 1/28/04 and expired on 2/2/14. In February of 2014 she was 85.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. As normal, she will need to file an I-90. Yes, that may take many months to process. That's fine. A few weeks after filing she will get a receipt. She will then go to and make an appointment to speak to an immigration officer in person and present that receipt and her passport and ask them to stamp her passport with a temporary stamp that will be used to show that she is a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. This is all the proof that she needs. Now if you are going to tell me that she won't be able to go in person because of medical issues, then she's going to either have to hire an attorney to go for her with her passport in hand and the I-90 receipt, or perhaps she can give someone power of attorney but that person should take evidence of the medical condition that prevents her from going in person. Here is the link to the I-90:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't have a US passport.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

And she wouldn't because she isn't a U.S. Citizen. But she's a citizen of somewhere. So if she doesn't have a passport from her country, then she's going to have to apply to get one. That's what she would use to get the stamp.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mary. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.