Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I have a quick question regarding my card. I wanna give a

Customer Question

Hi! I have a quick question regarding my green card. I wanna give a copy of my green card to a stranger since its required for the application of an apartment. Is it safe to do so or no? Thank you for your help!
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: yes I have
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Is there any particular reason that they want that instead of just your driver's license, etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello. can i cancel this sevice anytime without paying for a plan or more than the $5 dollars?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help! Im about to rent an apartment, but the owners are not in the same city so they are asking me to send them a copy of my ID.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But I dont know if this is safe. for example if i send them a copy of my green card, would they be able to steal my identity or do some froud on my name?

But why can't you send them a copy of your driver's license? Are they specifically asking for your green card?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont have a driver's license yet. But do you say it is better a driver's license? in that case I can send them my husband driver's license copy.