How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29019
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen my grand daughter is 17 yrs old living in

Customer Question

I am a US citizen my grand daughter is 17 yrs old living in London can I sponsor for her
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no not yet because I an not sure if I can do it
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No , her father is living here only having a green card so I am not sure if he can do it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How long will it take after application for her to come over
JA: I'm trying to find the right Immigration Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Will I have to pay for this service , or is it free advice
JA: The Immigration Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I will like to know the cost before you put me on
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

No, you are not in the category of immediate relative that can sponsor your grandchild.

You must be a parent, spouse, sibling, or adult US citizen child (sponsoring a parent).

Your son can petition his daughter but it will take about 2 years for a visa number to become available.

He will have to establish a domicile in the US at that time when her priority date is current and a visa is available.

You would want to read this link which explains what domicile is under the immigration laws.

Scroll down to "Sponsorship Requirements" and under that is "DOMICILE".

Her father as a permanent resident has to be cautious not to loose his permanent resident status by living abroad. Brief "visits" to the US is not maintaining a residence there and may be in danger of the Customs Officer finding him to have abandoned his status. (Just a side note of warning since you said he was "living" in London.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.