Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Citizenship aapplication pending for 16 months, Yes, Not

Customer Question
Citizenship aapplication pending for 16...
Citizenship aapplication pending for 16 months
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Yes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just y my application is pending for so long
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Shannon Llenza, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Shannon Llenza

Hello, my name is***** and I am an attorney with over 15 years of experience. Please let me take a look at your question and I will get right back to you. Thank you.

Hello, I have some follow up questions for you. First, have you received anything from USCIS at this point, and if so, what have you received?

Hello, I am checking in to see if you still need assistance with this matter. Thank you.

Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Your first step should be to make an appointment with Infopass and talk to an agent to see if there are any issues. While often the same information can be received via telephone, in person, the agents tend to be more specific. See HERE. You can also track your application HERE, and see more specific wait times HERE. Applications that are N-400 normally take about 6 months to process. At 16 months, this is unusual.

If you cannot get relief at all and there is no information, someone in your situation may consider filing a Writ of Mandamus. See HERE. This is a type of legal pleading that asks the court to order USCIS to make a decision on an application. This is a last resort step, but may be necessary.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law