How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4866
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

F1 student. My father who is my sole sponsor just passed

Customer Question

F1 student. My father who is my sole sponsor just passed away. Can I apply for EAD through "Severe Economic Hardship"?
I'm currently on F1 status (language student). My father had a major stroke last week and passed away this morning. He's my only sponsor. My mom can't support financially me because she's only a housewife and also has to take care of hospital bills.
Now I don't know what to do. I have to support myself and pay the bills. I want to work but I can't since I don't have work authorization.
Can I apply for EAD through "Severe Economic Hardship"? And also, I know there's a filing fee of $380, which I can't afford specially with my case now, can that be possibly be waived?
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I am so sorry about your father. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Under your circumstances it is possible to file for employment authorizations while on F1 visa. It is also possible to ask for a fee waiver. There is no guarantee that either one will be approved, but you can make a case for it. Sending it in with a fee waiver sometimes does delay the processing of the I-765, just so you are aware.

To apply you will send form I-765. To apply for a fee waiver, a long with your I-765 application and supporting documents, you will have to send the form For all the supporting documents that you will need, you will have to contact your designated school official who can guide you on exactly what you need. This page from another school sets it out pretty well

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Related Immigration Law Questions