How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1234
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you have a bachelor degree and you want to pursue a

Customer Question

if you have a bachelor degree and you want to pursue a master degree in new york city..Will you be able to get financial aid?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question today. It is a pleasure to be of assistance.

Firstly, this is an information request to assess your likely entitlements to student funding.

What is your current immigration status ?

Do you have a social security number ?

Please follow up with me with this information

Bill , attorney at law

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am New York City resident and I have bachelor degree from a school outside of newyork but I would like to take get my masters from New York City school.i was wondering if I would get financial aid since I already have a bachelors
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you ,

Just back to my questions :

Are you a green card holder ?

Do you have a social security number or what is your current visa or do you have permanent residence entitlements ?



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a citizen of this country
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. The question was posted in the immigration law section, but should have been posted within the educational law section, so there was a small mix up there.

Now to answer your question. The fact that you did your primary degree in another State is no impediment to receiving federal student aid in New York for a masters program.

To apply for federal student aid , you must complete the FAFSA application. This is a free application and is located at website.The application can be done at no cost to yourself in 20 minutes. Please use this website as other sites sometimes incur a charge.

To be eligible for federal aid programs, you demonstrate on the application to have a financial need.Complete details of eligibility requirements are found at

In case you are not eligible there are other means available to secure funding for your masters program. These include : The federal direct parent plus loan , and or alternate private loans.

As far as the the State program in New York goes it is known as the TAP program. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), New York's largest grant program, helps eligible New York residents attending in-state postsecondary institutions pay for tuition. TAP grants are based on the applicant’s and his or her family’s New York State taxable income.

There are a vast list of other Sate grants that can be found at :

So you can apply for the Federal, State and private loans as are most fitting your eligibility and requirements.


I am always prepared to follow up with you on your question if something is still of concern.

Best Of luck

Bill attorney